Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gotta Love Baldness..........not really!!


You know growing up I never thought that I would go bald. I always thought that was something that happened to geezers and people in nursing homes. It wasn’t until someone gave me a box of Rogaine that I was faced with the reality of male pattern baldness. This was especially difficult considering the fact that the box was given to me during a driver’s ed lesson……………I was 16!!!! Nothing like going to your Jr. Prom and having to wear a toupee.
It’s also really uncomfortable watching TV with people when you are losing your hair. When the weather man says, “Storms through this evening then the clouds start receding back” there is always that awkward silence and everyone try’s not to look at the bald man. “I’m not only the hair club for men president, but I’m also a client.” Yeah that is NEVER comfortable. People will however try to make me feel good about being bald. I’ve heard things like, “you look good bald” or “at least you have a nice head for it”. First of all I don’t even know what that means “I have a good head”. I have also heard “you wear it well” which I thought was a weird comment considering I was naked at the time. My favorite is “It’s the in thing.” Baldness has never been in. It just happens to be socially acceptable. If baldness were in or hip then people wouldn’t be wearing toupees………they would be wearing bald caps. I don’t think a woman has ever said, “You know I really prefer a man with half a head of hair.” NEVER!!!! There is however one benefit of being bald; you know what you are going to look like in thirty years. It takes out the guessing work about what you will do when/if you start losing your hair such as: will you shave it, comb it over, try to salvage every last strand, go with the bald Hulk Hogan mullet. You just don’t know what you are going to do with it………..but you or someone you know will be forced with those decisions and you will see a tall skinny bald man laughing when it happens!!!

Great Bald-Man Advocates:

1) Larry David
2) Bruce Willis
3) Jason Alexander
4) Chris Daughtry
5) Vin Diesel

No comments:

Post a Comment